1.19.2008

the beginning

I am going to try to use this as both my food and exercise journal. We will see how that goes. I am not sure how consistent I will be with blogging. Hopefully I will be updating this once a day in the evenings around 7pm or so (but don't hold me to that). Thank you to all of you who said you would support me in changing my life.

I have already finished reading the Biggest Loser book, it had some good insight. I am now moving on to Dr.Phil's book. I have also begun writing in a journal the things I am learning about in the books I read as well as my thoughts, feelings and "a-ha" moments.

I have decided to weigh myself weekly. For me daily is to much. I don't want to look at that number every day and waiting to do it monthly is just too long for me. I am hoping that once Paul gets up we can go over to BB and B or Target to check out the fancy scales that will give you your BMI as I am more interested in that number going down than the poundage. I know right now that on the BMI scale I am obese and have been for awhile. My main concern is to feel better, to know that I am healthier, to have both my BMI and pant size go down. I think I have bored you enough with this for now.

3 comments:

jeri said...

just checking in! :) An interesting site I read was the Hacker's Diet (google it, I can't remember the exact link). It's sort of an online book. Some of it is stuff you already know, but I found a lot of interesting ideas and points of view. I like that the author admits that a diet IS starving yourself, but that's what you need to do if you want to lose weight. It was also very helpful in providing information about how many calories one's body actually burns off on its own per day, vs. how much you eat and how much you burn off while exercising. Anyway, skim through it and read the interesting bits. It made a big difference for me.

the Hacker's Diet also has online tools that I find useful. I do weigh myself every day and enter it on the site, and it shows me the "trend". Weight does fluctuate from day to day, but the graph on the site can show me if my trend is losing or gaining weight. Personally, I like weighing myself every day, because it keeps my goals constantly in mind and fuels me to do better. If I weighed myself once a week, I would find excuses to fudge once in a while, and then promise that I'd work it off in the next couple of days so that I would be okay for my weigh-in.

tk said...

The one book/diet that ever really changed my entire outlook on eating and all was the Southbeach Diet. I read the book and it just really hit home to me. I think you guys would like it. thing is, everyone has a diet. The way you eat is your diet. So, sometimes you have to not really consider it as a diet but just what you're eating. If that makes sense.

I definitely think you should not weigh yourself every day. I can't believe you were doing that! Weight fluctuates constantly, espeically in a 24 hr period because of water weight or whatever. Get that tape measure and take your progress that way. Weight is a good way to judge by, but you're going to really feel accomplished when checking out the inches.

amy said...

i have a great dr. phil book. it's about having a phenomenal family. maybe you can read that one of his too..teehee